Know a word

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Respect Life

How do you feel when you get respect from others? Now you may think what kind of stupid question is this! Everyone existing on this planet loves being respected. Here comes another question for you. Do we give respect to every person in our life, even strangers? Well, we all may have different answer to this but most of us don't give people the respect they deserve. And it is surprisingly  true. I don't need a statistical data to prove it. We all know this fact and are living with it on a daily basis.

Few days back, I went to a market, crowded with people. Sellers were shouting their funky slogans to attract customers, rickshaw pullers shouting various name of places, waiting for people to hop into their rickshaw. And suddenly my eyes caught a person sitting in the corner , completely drunk and unaware of the surrounding. Now, I have seen two different kind of people, almost of the same age: Rickshaw puller and a drunk man. As an academician, I started doing a comparative case study in my head. After some time, I reached a conclusion that rickshaw pullers might not contribute much to the economy but they certainly deserve a lot of respect. I think that they are able-bodied men that have opted to wok hard rather than indulging in any heinous activity.


I remembered a similar scene at the vegetable and wholesale market and suddenly a lot of respect started erupting inside me for those people. They could have easily fallen into prey to some immoral ways of earning money like robbery, kidnapping and many more unethical acts, but they have chosen the path of hard work, to survive, trying to live their life with dignity and from my point of view, they deserve being respected.

Yesterday, while crossing a subway, I spotted a man with a weighing machine. All of a sudden, I was keen on knowing my weight. Why I did it? I think you know the answer now. We all might have seen singers and dancers in local buses or trains, who ask for money after they are done with their music or dance act. They too have the desired skills and from the marketing point of view, they are selling it. Unfortunately, people sometimes get confused and consider them beggars. But, in reality, they are not begging. Instead they are showcasing their talent to earn their livelihood. Don't you think they deserve some respect?

We are happy to pay for expensive branded clothes and other materialistic things, but bargaining with rickshaw pullers or vegetable vendor give some people the happiness of their life, that is the reason they indulge in this act. Don't you think some responsibility rest with us so that their noble way of living continues? One thing we can do is not looking away, give them the respect they deserve, and sometimes if our pocket permit, help them without hurting their dignity.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment